<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 17, 2004

 
1 Down 3 to Go

My freshman year is over. The year was pretty rough and it took a lot at times to even get up in the morning. But no one told me that the hardest part of your first year of college is leaving.

The first thing I did upon my arrival at home was hug my grandmother. I love her dearly. After the uncomfortable small talk, "How are you?" "Fine." "Are you glad to be home." "Of course," I went home, or what used to be my home.

My mother is probably the most important person in my life, but after our initial greeting, I felt like a stranger, as if I were visiting. More small talk. I eventually fell asleep on the couch, my dog Simon at my feet.

When I woke up, I felt very awkward. There were no bells, whistles, or obnoxious laughing to wake me up (my roommate had a Walt Disney alarm clock with a Goofy setting), no neighbors to barge in uninvited to complain that I slept past noon (as they take a pop from the fridge), and certainly no one to call and ask if I wanted to go to lunch at Quiznos (they overslept as well)...

Don't get me wrong, my friends from highschool are beyond wonderful. But we didn't get to share that bond of being away from home for the first time. We didn't get to share the experience.

To all of my college friends who read this: I wish I could express how much you mean to me. Words, whether spoken, written, or sung, only restrict my ability to tell you how much you've changed my life. Without you, my first year away from home, in the shadows of reality, would've been impossible, stagnant, and uneducational. You taught me the majority of what I learned at Millikin, and I'm sure I have plenty more to learn.

WUSAL,

See you in the fall...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?